Sunday, March 29, 2015

Getting close...


The final days are upon us. Yesterday I refit the bonnet after a quick sand. It still needs a buff, actually the whole car needs a thorough rub down to flatten out some of the orange peel further.

The transmission lines were a nightmare, they should have been installed when the motor and gearbox were out of the car as they are mainly steel tubing that needed lots of massaging to snake back into place.



Bonnet back, grillle in, almost ready
The new water pump fits properly and I used a NOS fan belt! Woo. Ahem.
I'm still waiting for a pair of radiator hoses and a fuel filter to arrive, the fuel filter needed to be found online as some of the disposable parts are now deleted. I found a distributor cap at Blair Athol parts, but they want $75 for it! I cleaned up the existing one, but if I were to keep the car long term I'd have to toss the Lucas distributor and fit a Bosch one just so I can get parts.

The grille had been painted flat black, so I sanded that back and returned it to almost the correct dark grey.

Remaining work to get it back on the road:
- Radiator hoses, and coolant

- gearbox fluid
- fuel filter
- Battery
- Brake Master cylinder and bleed
- Rego and license plates
- test all wiring
- rebuild and refit the rear licence plate light. These units rot out really quickly. 
When I bought the car there were literally dozens for sale on eBay all the time. I kept thinking, eh I'll get it later, there's no shortage of supply. They sold for $29 with free postage from Thailand. Now it's 'later' and they stopped selling them about a year ago. Nowhere to be found anywhere. The odd second hand one of ebay goes for upwards of $80 plus shipping! I've missed out on two. I'm just going to have to make mine presentable again.

I suspect I might be able to start it and possibly drive a little over Easter, but given the all new front end, I'd be loathe to go too far without an alignment.


No comments:

Post a Comment