Friday, March 27, 2015

Time for paint

2  more months have passed and it's been full steam ahead.
January was front end and brake rebuild, February was respray time. 



Sanded and ready for primer
A fair amount of prep went into the body work, from some bog wipes and plenty of sanding and priming. All chrome was removed and the rubber was carefully taped up. All surface rust was rubbed out. There was a fair amount on the roof, but the rest was pretty normal.


A couple of prime coats done
I used Proform brand primer, which was excellent. Smooth thick coverage and a pleasure to sand (well as pleasurable as sanding can be). I choose off white primer too as it would mean less top coats to get full coverage as opposed to a dark primer.


Painted, sanded, buffed and with some chrome back on.
Top coats were with the Pro-tec paint I bought 5 years ago. 5 years of sitting the paint had separated in the tin to a yellow colour. Upon first opening I thought I'd bought the wrong code! After ages stirring it finally blended back together top the correct colour.

I wasn't particularly pleased with how the paint when on. I admit I'm pretty rusty with spraying (it's been 15 years), and the hot weather probably didn't help but some areas were very powdery and full of orange peel. I rubbed back with 1500 and then again with 1200 and then a machine buff and it's smooth and shiny, but the orange peel is still evident in several areas. I'll give it a hand cut next, but if it were a concours resto I'd be starting again.

No comments:

Post a Comment