Saturday, January 28, 2012

Body dismantle begins


With the engine out, and the engine bay easy to access, it's time to start removing all the mechanical stuff in there. Brake master, heater hoses and tap, fuel equipment and so on. All must be out before I can paint the engine bay before the motor can go back in. I'm kinda on a timetable as I only have about 3 months left of suitable painting weather. I'm under no illusions that the car body will be done this season, not a chance, but I'd like the engine bay done at least and then all the mechanicals can go back in and be finished during the colder months.

Coke Can bog repair
So naturally I get distracted and start taking the guards off. It only started as I had to take the grille and radiator support out so they can be painted and also to allow easier replacement of the motor. And then the bumper came off and finally the passenger side guard. The guards have rust in the bottom corners, but alas I hadn't expected to find a coke can in there as a base for an earlier bog repair job! Home repairs from the 80's I say! I can hardly comment though, given my bodywork skills are mediocre. I can paint pretty well, but rust removal and panel beating?  No way! 


Chassis rust
So the guards, and the doors will be going to a crash shop for rust removal and priming. Oh as will the bootlid. It has a weird rust hole through the back of it. Where the guards have rusted, the chassis has a few small holes, which I will grind back and just fill with Mig weld (the picture makes it look worse than it is). The rest of the chassis appears pretty darn good.


Bootlid with weird rust hole and the side of the car without the guard / engine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment